Saturday, May 19, 2012

So at around 3AM this morning, our new, revamped website went live at www.717north.com ... of more import is the fact that I still had any hair on my head when it did...

Part of the fun in rehabbing 717North is keeping everyone updated, so when a friend who happens to be a talented and prodigious blogger was making me jealous with her slick site and posts that would seem to be a combination between Martha Stewart, Paula Deen, and how I imagine Ruth Graham - with a little extra kick only those raised in SouthEast Texas possess, I decided it was time I put in a bit more effort.

After finally finding a design program I liked compatible with mac, and working for several days on laying out the bones of the site, I FTP the files to my server only to realize my image thumbnails didn't link properly to full size versions... so I retool the pages and FTP again, only to find that iWeb FTP now crashes constantly and the page is half uploaded in a weird cyber-purgatory type way. Add to that fact that iWeb is no longer supported by Apple, and our nice new Apple Computer almost got an all expense paid vacation to the front lawn, complete with one way air travel. I finally found a freeware FTP program called Classic FTP, and painstakingly transferred each of the 250 or so files individually to the server. The site is still rather basic, but after I recover, the Holmes family section will be expanded and I'd like to include sections on Newton history, Thomas Williams and The Long Leaf Pine Forest that built the Southeast US.

All this really makes me feel rather computer illiterate, I really havent kept up with the times, I feel like Im a few neurons away from thinking the DVD drive is a cupholder... oh wait, computers don't even come with those anymore :-|

So in the end, just know, projects begun in jealousy always bring angst... but patience can salvage any debacle. Just kidding, I wouldn't call it jealousy... so maybe we should close with "as iron sharpens iron, so one person sharpens another".

1 comment:

  1. I'm in love with it all! It's amazing.... can't wait to hear more, and can't wait until I get the "go ahead" to move in! Lol! I've always LOVED this house, and was so sad at the fact that it seemed to be "thrown aside".... SO thankful you guys are revamping. It's absolutely beautiful!! :) Hugs!

    ReplyDelete